Communication Toolkit for Organizations
COP26 is the first UN global climate summit since the start of the pandemic. With health dominating the political agenda, the health community has an opportunity to make a difference to the negotiations if we raise our voices together.
Signing the #HealthyClimate Prescription letter is an important step in the global effort for ambitious climate action, but we can do more as the health community to make sure decision makers and the general public understand the critical importance of reducing emissions and addressing climate change. Below, you’ll find resources to advocate for climate action and to spread the word about the letter.
- Send a letter to decision makers
- Invite other organizations and your members to sign the letter
- Join the “Ride for their lives” virtual cycle ride to COP26
- Spread the Word in Twitter
Resources will continue to be added to this page in coming weeks. This will include a template op-ed and a twitter guide for social media actions. We will let you know by email about key advocacy moments and any important updates to this toolkit or the campaign.
Send a letter to decision makers
National leaders and climate negotiators need to hear that health professionals want them to protect health by addressing climate change. As we’ve seen during the pandemic, medical and nursing organizations, health professional associations and academic institutions can have significant influence on government decision making, especially when it comes to actions to protect health.
Send a letter encouraging your country’s leader, your environment and/or health minister, and your lead national negotiator to protect health:
- Please feel free to use this template letter as a starting point
- Add any contextual information that you feel is relevant, and please send it on your organizational letterhead
- Contact information for national negotiators is available here.
- You should be able to find contact information for your president, prime minister or head of state, and ministers, on national websites
Invite other organizations and your members to sign the letter
Once your organization has signed the letter, please invite other health organizations and key partners to sign on, as well as your individual members if you are a member based organization. There are template letters below. They are drafted as “organization to organization” so please adapt them to best suit your recipients.
- Invitation to other organizations to sign the letter
- دعوة لمنظمات أخرى لتوقيع الخطاب
- Приглашение в другие организации подписать письмо
- Invitation à d’autres organisations à signer la lettre
- Invitación a otras organizaciones a firmar la carta
In addition to sending an adapted version of the letter to membership, organizations with membership may want to include a note about the letter in existing organizational communications, such as in a newsletter or an action alert on a website.
Join the “Ride for their lives” virtual cycle ride to COP26
This October, fifty paediatric healthcare professionals from UK childrens’ hospitals will cycle over 500 miles from Great Ormond Street Hospital for Children, London, to Glasgow and the UN’s climate conference COP26 to to demand action on the climate and nature crisis.
- Click here to sign up via the Strava app, wherever you are in the world, and commit to cycle 100 miles between 1st and 31st October 2021
Spread the word on Twitter
- Read a quick summary of key facts on the intersections of climate change and health (10 minute read)
- Get a quick overview of COP26 and why it matters for health (3 minute read)
- Read a briefing on the health and climate connections with transport, food, energy and health systems
- Join the WHO-Civil Society Working Group’s biweekly #Care4Climate webinars and view past webinars
- Register for the free 6-part WHO course on climate negotiations
- UN fast facts on Health and Climate
- Explore este recurso de Salud Sin Dano